SX-165 CCD Detector
- SINGLE CHIP, LARGE DETECTING SURFACE:>
The SX-165 uses one 4kx4k chip, permanently bonded to a single fiber-optic taper, for simplicity and reliability. The monolithic design features a large, 165mm diameter circular taper imaged on a square CCD chip.
- LOW NOISE, FAST READOUT:
Custom electronics provide extremely low readout noise at high readout speeds. The SX-165 reads the chip from four channels simultaneously, resulting in a 2048x2048 pixel image in 2.5 seconds with less read noise than any comparable detector system.
- LOW TEMPERATURE, LOW DARK CURRENT:
The CCD chip in the SX-165 is cooled to -70°C and protected inside a sealed vacuum chamber. The resulting dark current, less than 0.01e-/pixel/sec., allows exposures long enough for data collection from any crystal on any X-ray source. The refrigeration system requires only a standard electrical outlet and no cooling water.
- FACTORY CALIBRATION:
The SX-165 is correctly calibrated before delivery. Due to the permanent bond between the fiber-optic taper and the CCD chip, the instrument does not require routine recalibration.
- TIME-RESOLVED IMAGING IN MILLISECONDS:
A newly-developed optional mode of data collection with the SX-165 makes taking data frames separated by only milliseconds possible. Frame-shift mode uses part of the CCD chip for imaging and the rest for data storage. After collecting the first image in the sequence, the CCD is triggered to quickly shift a configurable number of pixel rows, exposing fresh rows for the next image. Further triggers can make the CCD shift again and again until the CCD is filled up. It then reads out the entire CCD at the standard rate, and produces a corrected image showing a collage of the separate exposures.
- On-chip hardware binning - software selectable
- Phosphor: Gd2O2S:Tb <40 μm thick
- Closed-circle refrigeration at -80°C
- CCD sensors are selected for low noise and low number of cosmetic blemishes. All defects are correctable and permanently mapped and corrected by our factory calibration procedure. Fiber optic tapers are low Thorium glass with extra mural absorption (EMA) selected for minimal geometric and shear distortions
- Control and Data Acquisition System:
- Proprietary PCI busmaster DMA Controller with kernel level driver
- Direct transfer of data, in real time, to workstation memory with no involvement of workstation CPU
- Optically isolated digital input for external trigger of shutter and/or readout
- Optically isolated digital output as trigger for external shutter controller
- High current driver circuit for external solenoid shutter
(24V open pulse, 3V hold).
|X-ray sensitive surface||165 mm diameter|
|Number of CCD-chips||1|
|Pixels per chip||4096 x 4096|
|No. of on-chip read-out channels||4|
|Fiber-optic taper demagnification ratio||2.7 : 1|
|Software selectable image and pixel sizes||2048 x 2048 (80 μm)
1024 x 1024 (160 μm)
512 x 512 (320 μm)
|Detective quantum efficiency (DQE) at 8-12 keV||up to 0.8|
|Point spread function||FWHM < 100 μm
FW 1% < 300 μm
|Gain (electrons per 12 keV X-ray photon)||6 e¯|
|Read-out noise in standard readout mode||< 13 e¯/pixel|
|Dark current at -70°C||≤ 0.01 e¯/pixel/sec|
|Full well capacity for 12 keV photons||45.000 photons/pixel|
|Dynamic range||16 bits|
|Physical dimensions of detector head|
|Height x width x depth||22 x 22 x 34 cm|
|Weight||< 20 kg|
|Physical dimensions of electronics cabinet|
|Height x width x depth||72 x 43 x 64 cm|
|Weight||< 60 kg|
- Manual for program marccd (pdf: 3.1 MB)
- Product brochure (pdf: 2.63 MB)
- Drawing of top and side view of mardtb with SX-165 (pdf: 151 kB)